Zelensky signed law on countering anti-Semitism
President Volodymyr Zelenskyy signed the law “On Preventing and Countering Anti-Semitism in Ukraine”, which the Verkhovna Rada adopted on September 22.
“The document, in particular, defines the term” anti-Semitism “and indicates a list of its manifestations.”
The new legislative norm defines the concept of “anti-Semitism in Ukraine” as “a certain attitude towards persons of Jewish origin, which is expressed in hatred towards them.”
It is proposed to consider the main manifestations of anti-Semitism:
– denial of the right to self-identification of persons of Jewish origin;
– calling, concealing or justifying the murder or harm of persons of Jewish origin, including because of radical ideological beliefs or extremist religious views;
– making false statements, stereotypical, hateful and embittered statements about persons of Jewish origin;
– public statements related to the condemnation of persons of Jewish origin as collectively responsible for real or perceived offenses committed by one person or a group of persons, regardless of ethnicity or religion;
– denial of the fact of persecution and mass extermination of Jews during the Second World War (Holocaust);
– production, distribution of any materials containing anti-Semitic statements, as well as public use of materials, symbols and images of anti-Semitic content;
– deliberate damage or destruction of buildings, other structures belonging to persons of Jewish origin, Jewish communities and public Jewish organizations, as well as religious or religious buildings (houses) based on anti-Semitism;
– intentional damage, destruction or desecration of burial places of persons of Jewish origin, monuments, memorial signs dedicated to persons of Jewish origin due to anti-Semitism;
– manifestation of anti-Semitism towards persons of non-Jewish origin who have been identified as persons of Jewish origin;
– calls for anti-Semitism.
For violation of the requirements of this law, civil, administrative and criminal liability is envisaged. We are talking about the right to compensation for material and moral harm caused to a citizen as a result of anti-Semitism and its manifestations.